Tune in to Singaporean music with the launch of Hear65, a brand new nationwide movement launched by the National Arts Council and produced by music media company Bandwagon. With the aim of bringing Singaporeans closer to the homegrown music scene, Hear65 amplifies awareness for Singaporean artists through industry partnerships and an online platform which helps in the discovery of Singaporean music.
Findings from the National Music Consumption Survey 2017 revealed that that six out of ten Singaporeans listen to music daily and two out of three Singaporeans are proud of our homegrown music and musicians. “This is a good baseline that can go further, especially with the proliferation of exciting Singaporean musicians making waves here and overseas,” says Mr Yeow Kai Chai, the Director of Projects at the National Arts Council.
Dubbed as a play on our national country code +65, Hear65 aims to encourage Singaporeans and the world to discover and embrace Singaporean music. “We want to improve ways for people at home and around the world to discover homegrown artists, and position them in a way that is relevant to today’s listener,” says Mr Clarence Chan, Founder of Bandwagon.
So how does one get about exploring the exciting world of Singaporean music? The A List maps out all the cool things to check out on this sleek new site!
A Singaporean music library at your fingertips
Under the ‘Discover’ tab, browse music of any age, genre or language, and have the freedom to surf through more than 350 homegrown artists with over 1,800 albums. Gone are the days of stumbling upon SoundCloud profiles or combing through events to find music gigs – Hear65 pulls together the best of Singaporean music into a one-stop portal! Breeze through hundreds of songs and save the ones you like into your library!
While browsing through the site, here are some of our favourite picks:
- Feel The Sun – MMXJ (Electronic/Pop) – MJ Kuok is a Singaporean DJ/Producer that is Singapore’s Mike Perry, he’s a definite act to watch out for!
- We Don’t Belong Together – Dash Berlin ft. Haneri (Electronic/Pop) – Also known as Daphne Khoo, this Singaporean songbird has recently made the move to the US of A, and collaborated with top artists there. Catch her fronting this song with famous Electronic music group, Dash Berlin!
- Super Algorithm Digital Me – M1LDL1FE –Previously known as Take Two, M1LDL1FE is an indie pop act that produces original pieces inspired by 90s post-punk.
- Way Out – Theodora (Electronic/Pop) – Starting out with a YouTube channel, Theodora has now moved on to opening for top international acts like American singer/songwriter Joshua Radin, and gracing the prestigious stages of the Esplanade’s BayBeats festival!
- Numb – These Brittle Bones (Folk/ Alternative) –Chris Jones is a 19-year-old Singapore-based British singer who has been performing since 12 under the name These Brittle Bones. He’s been making waves in the music scene for his beautifully tender folk lullabies.
- Nur (The Light) – Art Fazil (Folk) – Dubbed Singapore’s ‘Bob Dylan’, this singer/songwriter is a multi-award winning music legend who sings in both English and Malay!
- I Told You So – Lady Kash (Hip Hop) – A hip-hop artist, her powerful rap and hip-hop beats in Tamil are sure to rock your world, and be on your Hype Beast playlist!
- Electricity – Nathan Hartono (Pop) –A runaway hit after his stint on Sing! China, Nathan Hartono is as easy on the ears as he is on the eyes. His crooning voice is sure to melt all the girls’ hearts!
- How Lian– Laomei (Hip Hop) – A tongue-in-cheek Chinese American Chinglish rapper that channels Migos-esque vibes, his raps are refreshingly fun and sure to speak to your inner ‘beng’.
- No Lies – Emily in Denial (Metal) – A Singaporean Metalcore band that has been making waves in Singapore and overseas, this band of six will surprise you with their heart-stopping solos and powerful vocals.
See your favourite acts in motion
The ‘Watch’ tab brings a plethora of videos together to enhance your music experience – watch music videos, get recommendations from other artists or go behind the scenes and get to know your artists beyond their music with interviews and trivia!
The A List personally loves the compilation of local music videos to browse through, and rates the Bandwagon produced Xingfoo&Roy – ‘In Another Castle’ (Official Video), as one of their top favourite discoveries of 2018!
Hear it on a playlist
Too lazy to hunt for an artist on your own? Then head to the ‘Listen’ tab and check out the curated playlists specially tailored for moods or genre – go from a rainy day feel to pumped-up tracks for the gym, or hear from famous thespian Adrian Pang’s top 10 list! More playlists will be added as the website expands so you’ll never run out of songs to jam to.
Give album feedback!
Add your voice to the mix and give your feedback on the albums and songs available. Give a rating from 1 – 100 (with 100 being the best score) and read other people’s reviews of the music. Instead of reading a review from a single reviewer, Hear65 invites the public to rate the albums and songs for themselves. Take part in the public conversation, see real reviews and earn badges for your reviews or replies!
Check out our A List Profile to see our album recommendations and reviews!
Submit new music
Whether you’re an artist yourself or an avid music fan, get a chance to add to the Hear65 platform by providing new music for everyone to listen to! This is a great platform for up-and-coming artists to submit their work and be featured on the website.
Hear65 is an exciting national movement that celebrates and promotes all forms of Singaporean music. Head on over to Hear65 and make Singapore music a part of your jam!