MEDIA RELEASE THE LOCAL PEOPLE THROWS
THE LOCAL PEOPLE THROWS A HUGE PARTY WITH A CHRISTMAS ART MARKET
AT SOUTH BEACH AVENUE – SANTA’S WORKSHOP @ THE SOUTH POLE
Singapore, 7 November 2017 – From 15 to 17 December 2017, The Local People (TLP) will transform South Beach Avenue into a huge one-stop Christmas Party for everyone in the heart of the Civic District, with Santa’s Workshop @ the South Pole. TLP concludes the year with one final art market by turning the space into an art, design, food and music destination for local communities and visitors to come together and celebrate in one of Singapore’s largest Christmas Art Markets.
Be a part of the longest communal dining experience in the basement plaza while savouring mouth-watering treats before heading to the tents on the street level to get your unique festive shopping fix with Singapore-made and locally-designed products. Look out for pop-up stores from South Beach tenants with whisky gifts from Quaich Bar, organic products from Real Food and Christmas hampers from Caffe Vergnano 1882, ATMASTEL – Cucina Italiana and JW Marriott Singapore South Beach amongst others.
While you fill in our art wall backdrop with colour following keyline motifs by our local artists, enjoy live tunes from music duo Rene & Stef @reneandstef at 3 pm on 15 and 16 December, singer songwriter Marian Carmel @MarianCarmelMusic at 8 pm on 15 December, while singing champion Jean Goh @seizuregoh and Desiree Orien Tay take the stage on 16 December. Sing along with Christmas carollers in the arvo on 17 December before our final music band Nisha and Syaf come on at dusk.
Lounge back at 7 pm daily to the first public screening since its theatrical release, of Lulu the Movie, Michelle Chong’s Best Director Win at the Canada International Film Festival 2017. Look out for our face-painting artist, a photo booth, fundraising carnival games by The Social Co., and LED Balloon giveaways between 8 to 10 pm.
Get crafty with three Christmas workshops daily from 11 am to 10 pm: Christmas Day Fondant Cookie Bar @mysweetscarlet, Christmas Calligraphy @endllxly, and a DIY customised gift wrapping paper station.
Stay updated on Facebook and Instagram @thelocalpeoplesg and RSVP on our Facebook event page http://bit.ly/TLPSouthBeach
Santa’s Workshop @ The South Pole
South Beach, 26/ 36 Beach Road
15 – 17 December 2017, 12 nn – 10 pm
For a list of TLP Art Market vendors, please refer to ANNEX A.
For more information, please contact Jasmine Chung at 65 82887841 or [email protected]
About The Local People
The Local People are nomadic space activators who take their art markets all around the country. Born from a desire to give craftsmen and women, young and old, an opportunity to sell their wares, The Local People art markets have now grown into a community where like-minded artists, designers and cooks share a space and their time for a day.
About South Beach Avenue
South Beach Avenue is the retail component of the South Beach development. Spanning over 32,000 square feet across the basement, street level and conserved buildings, South Beach Avenue is set to become the entertainment centre of the Civic District on Beach Road bordering Singapore’s Central Business District. It also has direct connectivity to the Esplanade and City Hall MRT Stations.
The mega South Beach complex is a joint venture between City Development Limited and IOI Properties Group Berhad. Encompassing over 376,000 square feet, the mixed-use development consists of conserved military buildings integrated into a stunning space with an office Tower, 190 luxury residences, the 634-room JW Marriott South Beach Hotel housed in a second Tower, and F&B and service outlets at South Beach Avenue. With a distinctive design including a state-of-the-art microclimatic environmental canopy to keep the spaces cool and breezy, South Beach is a two-time Green Mark platinum award winner and is the latest defining structure in Singapore’s vibrant skyline.
ANNEX A – THE LOCAL PEOPLE ART MARKET VENDORS
• Mix of White @mixofwhite – Handmade polymer clay earrings by a girl who enjoys making her own unique accessories. Each pendent is one of a kind and individually handcrafted.
• Reall Good Goods @reallygoodgoods – A social enterprise selling specially curated products from other social enterprises in the region. At this Christmas fair, we have specialty coffee (beans and ground) and herbal tea from Timor Leste. Our specialty coffee was the winner of the inaugural cupping competition in Timor Leste 2016. All profits from the sale of the coffee and tea go towards a building fund for a Methodist school in Timor Leste, benefiting the future generations of Timorese children.
• The Humble Ground @Thehumbleground – An assortment of minimalistic whole-grain baked goods e.g. Whole grain cookies, scones, poundcakes, sourdough home-made herb butter, packaged in a X’mas gift box
• Simplicite @simplicitecafe – We are a gourmet lifestyle café serving simple comfort food that everyone loves – great Gelato and delicious bakes which are handcrafted using our own special recipes. We believe that good food doesn’t need to be complicated, and that the rule to making a great product is simple – simplicity! For us, what matters most is to use ingredients of the highest quality, passion and a deep understanding of what our customers like & love – the secrets to good gelato and bakes.
• The Ellie box @Theelliebox – Distributor of organic baby apparels @littlegreenradicals and all-natural baby skincade @lovekins_babyskincare.
• Unit515 @unit515 – An online concept store originated from Singapore. It houses little dreams, and also serves as a platform where I discover and experiment. Our hand-crafted trinkets are carefully set and assembled for your everyday. Currently, our handmade necklaces are available in three different series. The series namely Geometric, Wonderland and Everyday. The Geometric Series: A playful series stringed with an adjustable cord for your weekends. The Wonderland Series: A jovial series stringed and crocheted with colourful vintage beads for your weekends. The Everyday Series: A delicate series stringed with dainty chain for every day.
• Premium Local Products @premiumlocalproducts – 100% Natural & Healthy Products and SuperFoods. Direct from Producers to You! Moringa pure leaf, tea bags, leaf powder, Kinkeliba pure leaf, tea bags (also comes in Mint flavor), Myola healthy and hearty snacks, guilt free energy balls, Chufala tigernuts and horchata drink.
• PeachyCherrySlime @Peachycherryslime – Hand-made slimes and add-ons to your existing slimes for the festive season.
• Bella Chic @bellachicsg – We sell handmade items made with laser cuts wood, personalised Christmas Ornaments, Personalised Wooden Snow Globes, Christmas Family Wreath and many more.
• Ariel’s Cookies @arielscookies.sg – We started by selling bite-size butter cookies, and hence the name. But today, our best sellers also include our fudgey brownies and the unique red dragonfruit cheesecake. Expect yummy cookies in lovely gift tins, or unique cakes that will bring you back for more! And of course, everyone couldn’t stop eating our brownies once they got their first bite.
• The Novel Encounter @thenovelencounter – Pick a book from a sentence! The Novel Encounter is a team of book specialists, looking to introduce you to your next great read. Every single recommendation is taken with the utmost sincerity. Dare to be curious with their catalogue of mysterious books.
• Allet Soap @alletsoap – Handmade Bath Soap. Comes in wide selection of colours and design, a feast for the eyes. Added natural ingredients, a treat for the skin. Infused with pure essential oils and blends, creating adventurous aromatherapeutic scents. Christmas themed soaps are also available.
• Otherworldly @otherworldlyhello – I am an illustrator who creates imaginary landscapes and shares them thru prints and also fabrics. I have a selection of totes, knot bags, pouches, cards and scarves, all handmade by me.
• Tinee Dino @tineedino – Tinee Dino is a tiny vegetarian dinosaur who loves all the hip and healthy things in the world. He is often found on his yoga mat, at a cafe, or at the gym. His hopes to spread positive vibes through hand drawn illustrated art, printed cards and other paper products.
• WEAREMADDD @wearemaddd – Our brand speaks for ourselves. We like to express our feelings and thoughts through the things we sell or the designs we make. Our products are mostly handmade from the heart, or designs made up in our head then taking a physical form. We often collaborate with designers to help us convey our thoughts and inspirations to people through their fingers.
• Bidds Singapore @bidds.singapore – Biting beads for Baby. Fashion for Mummy. Bidds are all handmade by fellow mummies (us!), designed for adults to wear to soothe and entertain babies with emerging teeth. Infants usually start teething from six months old onwards, they love biting hard objects to soothe the discomfort, or for psychological satisfaction. In order to ensure the health of baby when teething, parents can pick suitable teether to meet their needs. Bidds teether necklace is exactly the most intimate choice for both mommy and her baby. Bidds is both stylish and easy to carry, besides satisfying the babies it can be used as accessories for mothers too. When the mother is holding the baby in her arms, usually other teethers are proned to drop, but the necklace will not face this kind of problem. Bidds is made of beads with great quality, its chic design and color can easily attract the attention of baby. It is also very handy to grasp, a perfect teether for baby! These silicone teething necklaces are made of FDA-approved beads: 100% food-grade silicone and no PVC, latex, lead, cadmium or heavy metals.
• The Cultured People @theculturedpeople – Dedicated to creating delicious probiotic-rich food and drink to promote digestive health, overall well-being and a sustainable lifestyle.
• Luxe Teas @luxeteas – Luxe Teas is a local luxury tea company, selling premium and unique loose leaf teas that have been exclusively sourced from around the world. We currently offer 20 different types of teas, which have each been individually selected and curated to ensure maximum satisfaction with every steep.
• Junior Art Lab @juniorartlab – Art prints and print products – greeting cards and tote bags.
• Gal & Co. @galandco – Bags and accessories
• Kedai Koolcats #KedaiKoolcats – Handmade Fabric Products with A Classy Cattitude.
• Laugh and Belly @laughandbelly – Puns and fun! We enjoy watching customers stop by our booth to giggle at our cards. The cards are all hand illustrated (yes, not scanned and print, but reallay reallaaaay original). If you don’t mind us staring at your face, then you might wanna get your portrait done at this market. We’ll be fruitifying/foodifying people for a limited period of time only.
• Dysfunctional Room @dysfunctional.room – Where figments of my imagination is my reality. Illustrations that sometimes do not make sense. Somewhat quirky, somewhat weird.
• Artz de Scrap @Artzdescrap – Here at Artz de Scrap we are dedicated to inspire through what we observe in our everyday lives (eg. fashion, materials, environment, architecture, etc), our explorations with various materials and share all the beautiful wearable art creations by filiksia. For every piece of Artz de Scrap’s handmade jewelry, it is part of our exploration journey of the possibilities in materials through reinterpretation and pushing boundaries. This involves a mesh of various types of materials together with a mix of traditional and new techniques, to create artistic handmade accessories that are unique and interesting to create a style statement. Our pieces are for those who are not afraid to show their personality and be different in a stylish way. Artz de Scrap’s pieces are made in limited quantity to encourage slow fashion and the appreciation of handmade jewelry.
• W.RDS @w.rdsonline – W.RDS is a brand set up focusing on selling black and white t-shirts with simple words graphic on it. We created W.RDS with an aim of not competing with fashion trend but yet complimenting it. With a go-to basic piece like W.RDS, you can simply where it everyday in different style depending to your mood.
• Indian Dreams @indiandreamshop – Accessories, dream catchers and aromatherapy stuff.
• Into the Wild @intothewildbeauty – Into The Wild is a Truly Natural Superfood Based skincare company that believes that what you feed your skin is just as important as what you feed your body. Every single one of our handmade products is created with only the most natural raw ingredients, from the richest nutrient sources on Earth. These nutritionally supercharged ingredients are collectively known as Superfoods, and are the basis of our products. Our products include coconut oil based lip balms, coffee scrubs and green tea makeup removers. They DO NOT include parabens, artificial flavours and harmful chemicals!
15 (Friday) 12:00 pm - 17 (Sunday) 10:00 pm
South Beach Avenue
26 Beach Rd, Singapore 189768